Graduation is a significant milestone in a person's life and deserves to be celebrated. Whether you're looking for a gift for a family member, friend or co-worker, there are plenty of unique and creative options to choose from.
What is an Appropriate Graduation Gift?
The most appropriate graduation gift will depend on the graduate's interests and needs. Some popular gift ideas include:
- A great traditional grad present that is sure to put a smile on their face. Our favourites are from Floraly who offer a range of sustainable options that can be delivered Australia-wide
- Technology gadgets such as headphones, smartphone, or a smartwatch
- Something practical such as a travel bag or a leather wallet
- An experience gift like concert tickets, cooking classes, or a spa day
- Personalised gifts like a monogrammed phone case or a custom-made photo album
- Career-oriented gifts like a professional briefcase or fancy pen from somewhere like Milligram
What do you give for a Graduation Gift in 2023?
With lockdowns (hopefully) behind us, graduations are finally back on and in full swing. The graduation gift you give in 2023 will depend on the graduate's interests and needs, but some popular gift ideas include:
- A new laptop or tablet for their continued studies or future career
- A set of luggage or a travel bag that can now come in handy again now that the boarders have re-opened
- A fancy dinner out or a voucher to a restaurant of their choice
- An old-school mechanical watch is an elegant and timeless gift
- Some quirky custom artwork from somewhere like Framebird
- A beautiful scented candle. We love the candles over at Benehome
How much Money is Appropriate for a Graduation Gift?
The amount of money spent on a graduation gift is a personal choice and can vary greatly. It's important to consider the relationship you have with the graduate, their life-stage and your budget when determining the appropriate amount to spend. Remember, it’s the thought that counts so a gift card, no matter the amount, is also a great option and allows the recipient to choose something they really want or need.
Is $50 a Good Graduation Gift?
We think that $50 can be a generous amount for a graduation gift and can be used towards a practical item or an experience. Whether $50 is the right amount for you to spend on a graduation gift will depend on your budget and relationship with the graduate. For example, $30-$50 might be the right amount to spend on a high school graduate who you don’t know that well.
Is $250 a Good Graduation Gift?
This is another number that often gets floated around and to be perfectly honest, we’re not sure why. The amount to spend on a graduation present is a personal decision and should not be reduced to a monetary amount. That being said, we think $250 is a generous amount for a graduation gift and would show the graduate how much you care about them. Whether you choose to spend this much, more, or less will of course depend on your budget and relationship with the graduate.
What is a Good Last Minute Graduation Gift?
If you find yourself in need of a last minute graduation gift, then you might want to consider the following options:
- A digital gift card that can be sent via email (or quickly printed out)
- A bottle of champagne or other tipple of their choice
- A book or magazine subscription they can enjoy all year round
- Some fancy chocolates or another tasty treat from a local shop
- A bouquet of same-day flowers or gift hamper
Is it Rude to not Bring a Graduation Gift?
Bringing a graduation gift is not always expected, but it is a thoughtful gesture to show the graduate that you are proud of their accomplishment and support them in their future endeavours. If you are unable to bring a gift, a simple card or a heartfelt message to celebrate the graduate's success can be just as meaningful.
Are Gifts Expected at a Graduation Party?
Gifts are not always expected at a graduation party, but they are a nice way to celebrate the graduate's achievement. If you are attending a graduation party, it's important to consider the relationship you have with the graduate and your budget when deciding on a gift. Again, a small token of appreciation such as a bottle of wine or some flowers can mean a lot.
How Much to Give for a 2023 Graduation Gift?
It feels like everything is getting more expensive at the moment, but we feel that the amount to give for a graduation gift in 2023 is a highly personal choice and will depend on your budget and relationship with the graduate. You therefore shouldn’t feel the need to spend more this year. Some factors to consider include the type of gift, the graduate's needs, and the cost of living in your area.
Is a Gift Card a Good Graduation Gift?
A gift card is a great graduation gift option because it allows the graduate to choose something they really want or need. Consider a gift card to a popular retailer, such as Amazon or Apple, or a gift card to a restaurant or day spa for a well-deserved treat. Gift cards are also practical for covering expenses related to the graduate's new journey, such as travel or moving costs.
How Much Should I Give My Niece for College Graduation?
The amount you give your niece for her college graduation is a personal choice and will depend on your budget and relationship with her. Some factors to consider include the type of gift, your niece's needs, and the cost of living in your area. We think that a personalised message and some thought behind the gift is more important than the monetary amount.
What is an Appropriate College Graduation Gift from Parents?
As a parent, you may want to consider giving a practical and useful gift to help your child transition into the next phase of their life. Some popular university graduation gift ideas from parents include:
- A laptop or tablet for their studies or future career
- A set of luggage or a travel bag for any future trips
- Gift certificates for a spa day or a cooking class
- A watch that they might one day be able to pass on to their children
- A graduation hat or teddy bear that they can use alongside a graduation photo shoot
- A custom-made piece of jewellery to commemorate their achievements
- A monetary gift to help with student loan debt or other expenses
Ultimately, the most appropriate college graduation gift from parents will be one that shows your love and support for your child and helps them feel prepared for the next chapter in their life.
Graduation is a time to celebrate the achievements of the graduate and offer them support as they embark on a new journey. Whether you choose to give a tangible gift or a monetary contribution, the most important thing is to show your love and appreciation for the graduate. A well-thought-out graduation gift can help make the occasion even more special and memorable.